Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Why do some people put their hand on their chest during certain parts of the Mass? (Asked by Cicis, SE-10)

Why do some people put their hand on their chest during the part of the Mass when we say of "Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world..." and also during "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the Word and I shall be healed..."? What does it mean and are we supposed to do it?

This practice has its roots in tradition at a time when the Mass was still celebrated in Latin. At the beginning of the Mass, during the confession of our sins, and when we pray…

“I confess to almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned through my own faults in my thoughts and in my action, in what I have done and what I have failed to do…”

… the priest and the whole community would strike their breast three times while saying “mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.” In English, it means “through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.” It is a gesture of their deep sorrow and sincere penitence for their sinfulness.

Although we no longer have this tradition, its significance endured over time. Today however, instead of striking their breast, people just put their hands on their chests.

Should we do this gesture?

The Church does not bind all Catholics to a strict compliance to this tradition. Now that you know its significance, it may be gesture that you may personally wish to continue to express repentance and sorrow.

- Written by Chris Mallion, M. A. and edited by Manny Blas II, M. A.